How to Find your Ideal Workplace and Reach Your Potential
Posted: 21 February 2019
Work plays a huge part in our lives, so finding a job that you are happy in and gives you the lifestyle you want is important. But how do you find your ideal workplace situation? You need to take some time to reflect on what you value, what you enjoy and what motivates you.
Most people would agree that having a decent salary is important, but at what cost? If you had a choice between two similar roles, one with a higher salary and one with an amazing culture, what would you choose? Your decision will be very telling about where your priorities and values lie for your career and lifestyle.
Having lots of money might make you happy in the short term, but if your day-to-day role is dull, super stressful, or involves being surrounded by people that you don’t really like, you’ll end up miserable and desperate for a new job. True job satisfaction is more than just pay and benefits.
Discovering your ideal career and work environment involves figuring out the optimum conditions which allow you to feel happy, motivated and productive. To do this, you need to consider the following:
What environment do you thrive in?
- When do you produce your best work? Is it collaborating with a team, or working individually?
- What type of space allows you to focus and be productive? Is it an open plan office with a vibrant atmosphere, or a quiet place by yourself?
- What motivates you and makes you feel passionate? Consider your ambitions and values.
- What types of tasks do you enjoy doing? Are you highly analytical and organised or more free-flowing and creative?
- What management style do you prefer? Do you work best when you’re left to your own devices, or by having regular and close guidance from your boss?
- What do you value most in a job? Flexi-time, salary, great benefits, training and development, having a great team?
What environment hinders you?
It’s important to also think about what sort of conditions limit your success – what prevents you from being able to focus and work to the best of your ability? Here’s just some of the many factors that may hinder you in a work environment:
- Lack of support from management and team members
- Unrealistic expectations
- Noisy office with lots of distractions
- A culture that doesn’t match your personality and values
- Poor management – either being micromanaged or lack of input from manager
- Not being challenged, finding work boring
- Workload being too high without appropriate time and resources to realistically achieve everything
- The reality of a job not matching your expectations or the impression you were given during the hiring process
- No opportunities for career progression and development
Taking the time to understand your best and worst workplace scenarios will give you clarity and purpose when it comes to looking for new jobs, guiding the direction you want your career to take. Knowing, and what you don’t, will help you find a role and company that matches your ambitions and makes you feel fulfilled.
These insights will help you to find out early on in the application process whether a role is right for you. Find out what makes you shine and fiercely pursue your passions to find a career that enables you to thrive!
Like what you're reading? Subscribe to our newsletter for your weekly dose of career advice - sign-up below!